posted on March 09, 2021 12:44
The Cape Cod Potters is a non-profit organization of artists with a common aim to share knowledge and experience around the medium of clay. We were founded almost 50 years ago to provide professional, social, and educational support to the community of clay artists on Cape Cod.
Originally, the group functioned to procure ceramic materials and much needed equipment for mixing clay. Our purpose changed when the rented barn that we used to store raw materials and the clay mixer burned to the ground. This act of vandalism deprived us of a cheap rental space, loss of hundreds of dollars of materials and a damaged clay mixer. The idea to hold workshops for interested potters given by professional studio potters with diverse views and techniques from across the United States and Europe emerged to become the new main focus of the group. Informally, the membership still bought clay materials but did so by ordering from a singular supplier, bundling orders and delivering directly to each pottery.
Over the ensuing years many art institutions have emerged on Cape Cod with at least 7 of them providing studio space, ceramic instruction and pottery workshops. The expansion of these ceramic offerings has ushered in a renaissance of interest in pottery on Cape Cod and once again the Cape Cod Potters find themselves at a crossroads exacerbated by the challenges of a global pandemic. It has come time to choose a new direction. Current board members have served for many years and would like to retire. The board is now actively seeking input from our members, other interested potters and institutions. We need fresh blood and new ideas. We need you.
Benefits to our members :
- A bulk buying discount at Sheffield Pottery
- 10% discount on Castle Hill workshops
- 15% discount on ceramic workshops at Meeting House Clay Center
- High quality, affordable workshops to our members and non-members
- Participation in group exhibitions
- A listing of your pottery on our website
Benefits to the wider community:
- Soup Bowls for Hunger, an annual event hosted for the last 28 years by the Cape Cod Potters in collaboration with the Cape Cod Regional Technical High School, whose goal is to raise funds for the Family Pantry.
- Our annual pottery seconds sale which raises funds for grant money used to support numerous art institutions on Cape Cod providing them with equipment, instructors and enabling them to host their own ceramic workshops or programs.
What we seek from our membership and other interested groups to stay relevant:
- New members, current and former members to join or renew their membership. You do not need to be a professional potter, you just have to love clay.
- New leadership willing to hold offices with mentoring from current officers. If you have new ideas we would like to mentor you towards a leadership role this year.
- Ideas for our future direction and a willingness to make it happen. (Please see our membership form for space to describe your visions and suggestions.)
What we are offering in the interim
- Free membership for 2021-2022. If you were a member last year, please send in a renewal membership form.
- If you are a new member, welcome! Membership dues are usually $30 a year for individuals and $45 for group/family membership.
- The membership form is available below or can be found on our website Print it out, fill it out and return by mail.
Click here for Membership Form